Lytham St Annes
Lytham St. Annes was linked to Blackpool by a privately funded tramway in 1896, initially using gas traction, but later electrified. In 1920 the company was purchased by St. Annes Council which was merged with Lytham in 1922 to form Lytham St. Annes Corporation. Buses began operation between the two towns in 1923 and further local routes were added. In 1935 a ‘back road’ link between Blackpool and Lytham was introduced jointly operated by both Corporations. 1936/7 saw the staged closure of the tramway and its replacement by jointly operated bus routes. Blackpool and Lytham had not always been on friendly terms and the former attempted to take over the latter on several occasions.
By contrast to Blackpool, Lytham’s bus fleet was small – typically around 35 to 40 vehicles. With much summer duplication, buses were not unduly taxed and achieved long lives, if not necessarily high mileages. Leyland double deckers predominated after the war, just like Blackpool. One Person Operation commenced in 1969 and the town routes were all converted by 1972 with the Blackpool routes following during the 1970s. Local Government reorganisation saw a larger Fylde Borough Council absorb Lytham St. Annes and its bus operations.
Click on the links on the right to read more about each bus.
Below is a photo of each of our Lytham St Anne's buses.........